The IndoorAtlas Beacon Planner (BETA) is a tool which helps you plan beacon deployments in your locations. You can use the Planner to
1. Assess the number of beacons required for your venue.
2. Based on the outline of mappable area, the Planner automatically creates a beacon installation map that evenly covers the area.
You can also manually place the beacons in the Planner and the Planner will compute coverage analytics. Make sure to read on the motivation to use beacons with IndoorAtlas first and beacon installation guide.
Opening Beacon Planner
The Beacon Planner is available through the Location overview page in the IndoorAtlas web tool, as well as through this link (you need to have IndoorAtlas locations to take advantage of it).
Using Beacon Planner
The Planner provides a few preset choices for beacon density. In the denser deployments the beacons are assumed to have lower transmission power.
Currently you can't use the beacon plans created with the Planner directly in the IndoorAtlas web tool. You can access your saved beacon plans in GeoJSON format through the browser development tools. As the Planner is still BETA, this user interface is subject to change.
To see how the Beacon Planner works, check out the instruction video below.
Workflow with Beacon Planner (Beta)
We recommend the following workflow with the Beacon Planner (Beta)
- Create the plan with Beacon Planner, then manually tune the beacon positions to the closest wall/pillar (or any other preferred install location nearby the automatically suggested location)
- Save the plan e.g. with name "Floor [N] beacon plan"
- Take screenshot of the plan and share to your phone
- Plan (e.g. mentally) the route you'll walk when installing the beacons
- Walk around to install each beacon, checking from the image on the phone screen (optionally mark on the image the locations where you've installed a beacon)